Sunday 25 March 2012

Review: Memoir of a Mermaid


Memoir of a Mermaid: When, at last, he found me [Book #1]

From Goodreads:
Tangled in a reality that is difficult to accept, Seraphin Shedd is faced with decisions regarding her future and clues to a murky past. When she meets Joseph Merrick, the nephew of her beloved teacher, the truth about her life begins to unravel and an exciting new world with endless possibilities presents itself. 

Witness as she navigates through her new life as not only a powerful mermaid, but a Guardian of the Sea. New friendships are formed and old trusts are broken. 

"Looking back, sometimes things are better off unknown. Sometimes the truth hurts more than a lie and being naive is a blessing in disguise. From that moment on, it was going to be difficult to distinguish between being protected and being lied to."

Alexia’s Review:
I really enjoyed reading this novel. The flow of events is spectacular and I love Adrianna Stepiano’s writing style. This book has a bit of everything – romance, humour and action (not the blood and guts type). This novel is not what I expected at all.

Seraphin is a strong willed chick that doesn’t sit back and watch from the sidelines – she is upfront and centre. She really blows me away with how she handles events and people. Seraphin is lied to on many occasions and yet she still comes out stronger, walking her path with her head held high - where as I would show ‘em the ‘finger’ and walk away. Her character doesn’t take any BS from anyone. That alone says a lot about her.

Joseph a.k.a Jay Mason - to be totally honest I have NO idea how I feel about him. As soon as I think he’s good enough for Seraphin, another secret gets revealed, which leaves me cursing him to his own personal hell. He is sweet and nice (sometimes), but it seems as if he has a hidden agenda. I can’t place his character as either good or bad - a 50/50 toss up for me.

I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride with my emotions whilst reading this book – one minute I’m all for a character and the next I’m thinking of ways I’d like to shove their faces where the sun don’t shine. As soon as you think you’ve figured out what the plot is … BAM, it changes completely! Definitely an author I’ll be following closely! 

Superb cocktail creation

5 comments:

  1. Great review Alexia! I love all the suspense in the blurb, and the roller-coaster you talk about just adds to the intrigue. And with such a strong female protagonist, I think it'll be a kickass novel. Off to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a great read and I loved it! Total kickass novel with an awesome lead female character!

      Delete
  2. I love the martini glass rating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it took me so long to reply! Did you just say Mermaids??! I don't think I've read a book about mermaids before but reading your review definitely piqued my interest ;D 4 Martini glass it is XD

    ReplyDelete