Wednesday 9 May 2012

Guest Post


I Never Thought
By Natalie Star

I never thought that anyone would read my novel. That wasn’t my intent when I penned it. I wrote it for me and maybe a few of my daughter’s friends to read. I most certainly didn’t intend to submit it to a publisher, ever.

While working on it, I went against the norm the majority of the time. Wanting to write young adult paranormal, I didn’t want to do the usual vampire, were, angel or ghost story. I made up my own paranormal world with Keepers/Watchers/Protectors/Organizers. Then when it came time to make a decision, I’d ask myself “What would the average reader expect to happen?” Then I’d go in the opposite direction. I had a blast writing the story using this method. I also kept reading how people were getting sick of love triangles in stories, so I wrote a nontraditional one. I’m not even sure you could call it a triangle. You’d have to read it and tell me what you think.

I didn’t even know how my story would turn out. I mean, I had a basic outline in my head how the story would progress, but in the end, it didn’t happen the way I planned. I’m thinkin’ it turned out even better. Writing this story was much like reading one – never knowing what was going to happen next, or how things would turn out. I wrote by the seat of my pants.

I had no pressure writing my debut novel, The Keeper, because no one was really going to read it, or so I thought. Things change, and now you can purchase my eBook on ten different websites, how totally cool, and totally unexpected for me and my family. But now writing the next story after The Keeper, I feel the pressure. I am still writing by the seat of my pants, but when I ask myself that question of what would the average reader expect…I think wow, this better be good, because someone might actually be reading it.

Connect with Natalie Star:
-      Twitter
-      Blog
-      Website
-      Facebook

The Keeper
The morning of her sixteenth birthday, Billie feels blessed despite the reoccurring nightmare that wakes her. Loving parents, a caring boyfriend, and great friends surround her until an heirloom necklace throws her into a world she never imagined.

“Gifted” with supernatural powers and an unexpected destiny as the Keeper, Billie and a mysterious boy from her past must work together to find answers. But, as they begin to discover feelings for one another, he disappears leaving her to fight evil alone. Her life spirals out of control. She breaks up with her boyfriend, Tony, and alienates her best friends Arianna and Jocelyn to protect them from the truth.

As dark forces pursue her, Billie longs to run away from it all, yet a need to do what’s right compels her to face the future as the keeper of more than her own fortune.


Purchase sites for The Keeper: Natalie’s blog
The Keeper book trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment